Thursday, October 7, 2010

In Retrospect

Its Friday!!! I was busy preparing snacks for little Vinni who will be returning tired from his dance class. My man was busing chopping vegetables for dinner. Once Anu, mother of Vinni returns from the office she will take care of Vinni and the chopped vegetables. I and my man will be all set for a walk to the temple down the lane or for a happy chat with acquaintances in the park round the corner.

Just like how many things have changed all these years there are many things which remain unchanged too. Inclusion of Iniyan,our son, daughter in law and a grand child are the changes in our life. Our personal space is the unchanged one. No matter it has been forty years past our marriage or the varied roles donned by us we always make it a point to have our own personal space and never to underperform our most important role. Life partners! I would like to call soulmates as the word partner kindle my MBA brain and the M&A course in our b school. Friday evenings are meant for us . Us in the truest sense. Only for him and me. Saturday evening are for Vinni’s dad and mom when we enjoy our second childhood with Vinni. Sunday nights are for all of us to explore new places and criticize movies, technology,policies, lack of yellow color pencil boxes in landmark, the mystery of Vinni’s missing erasers, the puzzle of why Iniyan’s white shirt always get stained and what not.

So now you should feel the excitement in the first sentence. It’s Friday!! Today’s plan is to go to the concert to listen to the lovely performance by a well acclaimed artist. So after a blissful experience at Sabha we went to our favorite café coffee day overlooking besant nagar beach. After discussing about music, politics, Vinni’s latest mischief, things to buy for Anu, our son’s naughtiness in the same café 20 yrs ago suddenly something grabbed our attention. There we could see fastidious ladies of all ages coming out of the mahalakshmi temple with a bigger than usual bindhi, lamps and solemn expression. “Hey Ladies are looking gorgeous today. what’s the occasion?” he asked playfully winking at me. I rackled my brain and then realized it must be a sumangali puja done in Friday. I replied casually “Oh it must be that sumangali puja now these temples run so successfully. Can you believe how much they charge? 1000 bucks for each. Great business model monetizing these ladies sentiments. I am sure none of the organizer families’ ladies are over here. Sentimental idiots! ”. “Ah my dear stop your intellectual talk. Dint you whisper something extremely sentimental yesterday night. “. I stopped sipping my green apple soda in horror and stared at him. Aren’t people supposed to lose memory when they grow old? Are it just works the opposite way in guys? I retorted, “You are really growing old dear. Stop imagining”. He laughed,” No no. I remember it quite distinctly. You were quite absorbed in Winnie,the pooh with our little Vinni. But suddenly you stopped reading, looked at me and whispered in my ears assuming I am asleep. Hmmm.. What is it?” He was busy thinking. I tried to stay cool and replied non chalantly, “Ah! I must have told something horrible about you. “He replied equally, “Ah! I know you would be more than happy to do such a thing when I am wide awake right in my face. Oh yeah! You told if you were to live for 100 days I will live for 99 days! “I was dumbstruck. All I could do was to tell, “Lol. Keep dreaming old man. But it sounds cool. I and my boyfriends would empty your bank balance in 99th day and throw you in pavement in 100th day. Better be careful darling” He replied imitating my tone and playfully dancing for an imaginary tone, “Don’t worry sweetheart! Don’t you remember my girlfriends are filthy rich. 100th day I will be in Hawaii dancing with them without you nagging me. Cool” Both of us burst out laughing knowing none of us mean what we say. We could see many heads turning at us with surprised stares.

Little did they know only the trust and the love which hasn’t replaced our friendship could make this. I am not sure whether this conversation would have ended in a similar note had it been between those lost in their own world couple over there. I believe every relationship maturity can be assessed by the friendliness in it. Everything starts with the friendship and ends with it. The foolishness like ego, possessiveness all comes in the middle when we are hell bent in proving to each other our love and forgetting the true essence and joy of love. Why should we call anything that cause suffering as love. Why do people doubt, nag, inflict and undergo suffering all in the name of love. How much joy this mankind has lost by not asking a single question to itself, “How can you love when you can’t trust? “

My philosophical thoughts were suspended for a while as there was a serious threat to my brownie. Yes. He has finished eating his and next target will be mine. So I started attacking my brownie. BTW did I whispered something sentimental yesterday? Yes I did. But not the one he told.

It is “If you were to live for 100 days I want to live for 101 days!”

To be continued…

Note: Being my first attempt in story writing would love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment